Thursday, February 6, 2014

Looking For Christ

Yesterday Sister Haugen and I were visiting members in our area. We made a long list of names and addresses of the people we wanted to see. I must have been too "missionary minded" while making the list because on one of the names instead of putting Chris I put CHRIST... Ha!  When we got up to his door we noticed my little mistake- thankfully- and got a good laugh at the thought of two LDS missionaries knocking on a random door and asking, "We are looking for Christ... is He here??"

As I was thinking about this mishap I started to wonder what I do, or where I go, when I AM looking for Christ. Do I pray? Do I read my scriptures? Do I ask someone? Or does finding Christ require more than that?

I love the scripture Moroni 10:32, "Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God."

I'd like to suggest that one of the greatest ways we can find Christ- or come unto Him like Moroni said- is to become more like Him. Which requires us to make changes in our life to become more pure like He is pure. I believe that in order to "deny ourselves of all ungodliness" we need to deny the world. To turn off the TV show when it becomes inappropriate, to change the radio station when a song becomes vulgar, to speak kindly instead of gossip, to continue to serve even when we are tired. 

I am grateful for the experience we had yesterday because it reminded me that looking for Christ is a processes not an event. 

I want to invite everyone to look for Christ today by striving to become more like Him. I promise that if you do, you will find Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment